Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Race Day Lessons


Things I learned at the Three Rivers Triathlon.

1. Getting out of the water dead last sucks! Yes, I know the concept of waves...I wasn't really last....but it still stinks.
2. My wetsuit chafes....I'd never swam that far before, so who knew. ouch.
3. TriHawg and kids ate a nice big breakfast after seeing me through T1.
4. Dogs on a wet road make cyclist swerve and go down :-(
5. Watch out for ambulances trying to get to downed cyclist! (not me)
6. New/wet asphalt is very, very slippery.
7. Slippery pavement= my first fall on the bike. ouch.
8. Michigan ski areas don't have mountains, but they do have big hills and make my legs really, really burn. ouch.
9. I possibly went slower and faster than I ever have on a bike....lots and lots of hills!
10. I live to see my families smiling faces as I come into T2!
11. Running feels great after sitting on a bike for 26 miles.
12. Friends can be made anywhere...even at mile 3.
13. New found friends are the best at helping you get through that last mile...thanks Martha!
14. Finishing is Awesome!

So, these are a few of the things I learned at my first olympic triathlon. I finished in exactly 3:30. I am still pretty excited that I finished and didn't go have breakfast with the kids ;-) just kidding. I had never actually done any of these distances in training...not the smartest way to race, but I really just ran out of time to train with vacations and all. I am really still pumped up that I had such a great run. This has always been the hardest for me and was the easiest durning the race! Once again, you just never know how you'll do until you tri!

4 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

Congratulations on your first Olympic distance race. What an accomplishment! Sounds like you aren't the only one who fell. I just found out yesterday that Asphalt is made from crude oil. I guess that explains why it gets slippery when wet. Learn something new everyday

3iron said...

Nice work! Sorry to hear about your crash - tri's are hard enough without having to throw that in the mix. Keep at it - it's definitely an addicting life style but I'd rather be addicted to this than reality TV! Plus the life lessons to be learned and the example you set for your kids - oh man I love this sport!

Spandex King said...

Congradulations. Things never go as planned. Sounds like you had a whole bunch of crappy things happen to you. But look at it this way, your next race will be better.

Clot Buster said...

One down...MANY MORE TO GO!!!
They only get easier from here on out. Thanks for sharing your experience. It is all about getting to the finish line. We all have different ways to get there but the point is to reach it and enjoy the journey there. I am glad to hear that you want to do more. Look forward to see you at the races!