Sunday, July 30, 2006

back from vacation

We are now back from our yearly jaunt to the upper peninsula...the bridge is long, but the drive is worth the gas. The UP is always beautiful and peaceful. We spend lots of time on the beaches of Lake Superior where Tri Hawgs parents live at White Fish Bay. Talk about seclusion...you can walk miles in either direction and not see a soul.
I kept up my running schedule with a few easy runs and Tri hawg did a couple of long rides on the bike to get a feel for Steelhead distance. Although we took the wet suits, we never did get in the lake. Just a little too cold. The kids DID put the suits on and played in the waves and freezing water plenty.
So, we pared down the exercise a bit and really threw in the towel on the nutrition angle of our diet. We actually ate FRIED white fish....while this is really, really delish....it is also really, really bad for you.
Oh well, we don't do it every day and I think any weight I gained on vacation was sweated off After my run today.
When Am I Going To Learn To Get Out of Bed Earlier To Beat The Heat?????!!!!!!

Lake Michigan temps are nice and warm right now. We did an open water on Friday with a short sleeved wetsuit and it was perfect, a little choppy, but not too wavy. Tri hawg hit the water again this morning and ran into some other Steelhead racers getting in one last open water before next week.
The weather for Steelhead looks like it will be pretty nice after a grueling 90+ degree week. The temps are supposed to start dropping on Thursday and then even out by Saturday.
With any luck the lake will NOT turn in the next week and Steelhead race day will be sweet!

Ah yes....since I am not doing Steelhead this year as I am just a newbie I signed up for the Three Rivers Triathlon on August 19. I am going to do the olympic distance 1500 meter swim, 24.9 mile bike & 6.2 mile run. Now I have something to train for again!

No comments: