Monday, May 07, 2007

Blossomtime Race


First let me just say that yes, I am alive and well. Spring has been fine, but....I'm ready for summer :0)


I ran my first 5k of the season on Saturday. Our local YMCA puts on this race and does a really nice job. It runs the route of the Blossomtime parade which is a big deal here in our little town. The race takes place about an hour and a half before the parade. The route is an out and back through the Twin Citys of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. It includes running over the Blossomtime bridge....which I've discovered, people really do not like to run over the grating on this bridge. A lot of people scramble to get up on the sidewalk edge, which is narrow, so they don't have to look down at the water far below. There is a great hill that we ran down at the very beginning of the race....but wait, there is the same killer hill that we have to finish with on the way back. The official results aren't posted yet, but I think I ran a straight 30. That gives me about a 9:30 pace. Pretty normal for me. I didn't push. I didn't stop either and I especially didn't stop on that hill and was still able to sprint the last 100 yards to finish up. It looks like I was about a minute slower than last years race. I'll just have to make it up later this summer at the Venetian 5k.

We stayed after for the parade. The weather was perfect and we had a great time with lots of friends and kids!

1 comment:

Wes said...

Nice job! I really like that smile in the photo! I haven't quite mastered that yet. I always look like I am in pain for my photos! LOL.